RICE SOUP WITH MINCED PORK Serves 4
3 fresh coriander roots roughly chopped
3 Garlic cloves roughly chopped
¼ teaspoon white pepper
400g [13oz] minced Pork
1.8l [3 pints] vegetable stock
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon preserved radish, finely chopped [optional]
625g [1 1/4lb] boiled jasmine rice
2.5cm [1 inch] piece root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
50g [2oz] Chinese cabbage leaves, roughly chopped
To Serve: 2 Spring onions finely chopped
- Put coriander roots, garlic & pepper in a mortar and pound to form a smooth paste
- Mix the paste with the minced pork
- Put the stock in the pan and bring to the boil. Add the soy sauce, radish and rice.
- Shape the pork into small balls, drop into the soup and cook for 3 mins
- Add ginger & cabbage. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Serve garnished with coriander leaves and spring onions, season to taste.
*chicken or prawns can be used instead of pork. The Chinese cabbage if not available could be substituted with spinach.
When I made this recipe I used basamati rice and a leafy green cabbage and cooked it a little longer.
It is a light oriental soup which is very filling.