For the sponge
225g Self raising flour 100 ml Sunflower oil
1 teaspoon Baking powder 3 large Eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon 3 medium Carrots, peeled and finely grated
2 teaspoon Ground Ginger water for consistency
175g Castor sugar
Note: For the wheat free version, I substituted the flour with doves farms wheat free flours, mixing the plain and self raising together (50/50) with a teaspoon of baking powder.
- Preheat oven Gas 4/180C. Line a 12x9x2 inch baking tin with greasproof paper
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and sugar in a bowl.
- Gradually add oil and eggs, then stir in grated carrot. Add about 3 fluid ozs of water.
- Pour into the tin and bake for about 40 mins until golden and risen. Cool on a wire rack.
- I would leave the greaseproof paper on the bottom as it gets rather moist after a day or so.
Mix 170g cream cheese with 450g icing sugar, add vanilla to taste (recipe calls for 1 tablespoon) and a tablespoon or 2 of milk. Cream together and spread over carrot cake.