Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sock it to me.

I'm having a crazy sock knitting run at the moment.  Yes I should have done this before the winter, because that's when most people need to keep the feet toastie.  Well my feet get cold easily all year around.

I picked up yarn in Lidl, it's a cotton blend 4 ply yarn. Perfect to start with and I've a sensitivity to pure wool.  I also wanted to do them toe up and with a short row heel, so two new things to practice, as I have always knit top down and done a flap heel.


So here is my first attempt, not too bad at all.  Although the tops could have been cast off looser.  So in the second pair I increased a couple of stitches in the rib and cast of looser and they fit perfectly.  I should add, they didn't change after the first wash like the other pair.
I should add though that with my sensitive feet, I found them a little rough on the soles, like I could feel the stitches.  Odd I know.  But after washing they softened, fluffed up and sort of felted a little (most likely from the tumble dryer) - I know there is a term for that, I'm just not familiar with it.  I also knitted up a second pair that didn't shrink in the wash and fit perfectly, the first pair shrank again even though they were washed in the same way.


As you can see they shrunk to fit perfectly and are so soft and warm too.  I just wanted to make more and more and more....... so I ordered some Stylecraft in Ben Nevis and King Cole Zigzag in Strata.

These are the Ben Nevis socks, my new total favourites. The yarn seems quite thin and was 75% superwash wool and didn't irritate my skin...... woohoo!
I'm onto the Zig Zag and it's like a whacky fair isle as it knits up.  Also very bright and retro looking.


I have to say it's whacky yarn and knits up crazy bright.  Gives me a bit of the retro feels too.  There was a join in the yarn on the second sock - not impressed.  Just glad that I was able to figure out where to join the colour, so that they matched in the colour strips at least.  I've finished them up and added them to my Etsy store for now. (I'm having a rethink over it, due to postal hikes here).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers the blog comments are moderated! So no spamming or linking is allowed. They will not be published and sent into the black hole of cyberspace!

To the genuine humans of the world, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.