Monday, February 25, 2019

2018 The year my VW retired






This is the car that I bought when we moved here in 2009.  A 99 Polo estate, which took me everywhere without complaints until February 2018.  Where I found myself stuck in the supermarket car park with a full weeks shopping in the boot!  Basically the immobiliser, immobilised me.  Thank goodness for breakdown assist on my insurance or I would have had to go through so much stress.

I did get her fixed and through another NCT, but I was always afraid that next time I wouldn't be so lucky.  Parts are incredibly hard to source and scrap yards are trying to over charge for parts.  

After having to spend a month without transport.... only ONE bus a week, weather permitting here!  I started hunting for a replacement (insurance costs are insane here).  Every time I found one it had been sold - I don't think they get the bit where you update your website ads to state this, saves time and disappointments.
I had just about given up, when I woke one morning and thought 'look for a car today' and bingo I found one, phoned and arranged to go get it.  So we had our replacement car, but it took me a couple of weeks to part with my old faithful.  I actually felt bad about having to take it to the scrap yard, but you have to face the fact that at 20 years old, bigger things are going to go, there are rusty bits you can and can't see and you just have to say goodbye before you break the bank.

I still miss that VW engine.  We ended up with a Skoda Fabia Combi, definitely lacking the pull in the engine but will get used to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers the blog comments are moderated! So no spamming or linking is allowed. They will not be published and sent into the black hole of cyberspace!

To the genuine humans of the world, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.