Saturday, February 2, 2013

The odds n ends

Well it's been a wee while, I don't know where the time has gone.  But I'm glad that January is over.  It's known to me as the too many bills month as everything seems to be due then.
I was trying to  think what I had been doing with myself other than running around like a headless chicken for a couple of weeks, trying to get everything sorted for forms that landed on the doormat on the 2nd Jan.  Being a Scot I was still enjoying the remnants of Hogmanay/New Year celebrations.
 

So what was knitted?  Well I've been using up the scraps. Starting with  this layette from Lion Brand with matching bonnet.  This is the second time that I've knitted this up.  This time it was a surprise for someone who's daughter had a baby.   It's such an easy quick knit.



Then I thought I'd try my hand at gloves. I've never ever made any before. Now that I've actually made a few I'm wondering what was so intimidating about them.  But then again I never had a set of DPNs (double pointed needles).

I took the pattern from Berroco here but found that I had to alter it a little to fit, which is surprising as I always thought I had big hands....... obviously they are not as man sized as I once thought......yippee!
I've made quite a few pairs, although the 1st couple were a bit, um, messy around the fingers. with the increasing, but I sorted that later so that it was neat.




My mother, bless her, gave me some knitting stuff for Xmas including wool.  She gave me some fancy pompom netted yarn which left me scratching my head as how the heck to knit it.  All I can say is thank goodness for the internet and You Tube.




The next step was to figure out how many stitches to knit with, I ended up using 6 after a little trial and error.  I was thinking a sort of skinny style scarf.

Well at least now I understand how my cousin was knitting with spoons whilst on holiday!  ;)



This is the end result. I think I'll get similar yarn in red or purple, as I'm not a fan of navy at all.

Cast on 6sts and knit up as stated on the band, I sewed the yarn when I had to join and tied a knot in the end when I finished.

Now that I've used it once I'll have no bother in using it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers the blog comments are moderated! So no spamming or linking is allowed. They will not be published and sent into the black hole of cyberspace!

To the genuine humans of the world, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.